Vasthu Homam Significance
This homam is done during “Grihapravesha”. Due to building of a house, 3 types of doshas (sins) come up.
- Digging the earth – because of this many worms die.
- Cutting of wood – Nature is getting affected. Because Trees are also living beings in the lower end of the life spectrum.
- Breaking of stones – There is possibility of evil spirits in the stones. If this Homam is done, it will lead to prosperity in the house, and would lead to good health and peace.
The foundation of Vastu is traditionally ascribed to the mythical sage Mamuni Mayan. The Vastu Purusha Mandala is an indispensable part of Vastu Shastra and constitutes the mathematical and diagrammatic basis for generating design. It is the metaphysical plan of a building that incorporates the course of the heavenly bodies and supernatural forces. Purusha refers to energy, power, soul or cosmic man. Mandala is the generic name for any plan or chart which symbolically represents the cosmos.
The Vastu Purusha is the presiding deity of any site. Usually he is depicted as lying on it with the Head in the NorthEast and Legs in the SouthWest but he keeps changing position throughout the year.
Vaasthu Mandalam, Vaasthu devathas are invoked and prayed . In the Homam Thila vreehi, (Mixture of gingili and rice), Ajya (ghee) Palasha samith, Doorva (a type of Grass) and Annam (boiled rice.) are offered. End of this Homam Our Divine Astrologer Thethiyur V.Mahadevan advised to do the Kushmandam, (piece of Pumpkin, Laja, Anna (boiled rice.) are offered to them. This is called Vaasthu Bali.
Preciding gods of each direction
- East- Indra- Ruled by the solar deity- Aditya (Seeing the world)
- Southeast- Agni- Ruled by the fire deity – Agni (Energy Generating).
- South- Yama- Ruled by lord of death – Yama (Damaging).
- Southwest- Pitru/Nairutya, Niruthi- Ruled by ancestors (History).
- West- Varuna- Ruled by lord of water (Physical).
- Northwest- Vayu- ruled by the god of winds (Advertisement).
- North- Kubera- Ruled by lord of wealth (Finance).
- Center- Brahma- Ruled by the creator of the universe (Desire).